Located 5 km from the A6 motorway and 6 km upstream of Chablis on the county road 965, Beine really opened the doors of Chablis. Not only for its location but also by the image that perfectly reflects the world-famous vineyards.
In 966, the village was called Beina. From the twelth century, the fief depended Châtellerie Maligny. The village was during the Hundred Years War, surrounded by walls and was burned twice, especially during the seventeenth century under the reign of Louis XIV.
The church overlooking this quiet village with its spire dates from the twelfth century. This church has three naves, side chapels, high bays columns, pillars of the nave with decorated capitals and a beautiful Romanesque doorway. It contains a statue of St. Blaise in 1604, a wooden statue of Saint Sebastian, a painting of St. Anne and the Virgin with St. Catherine of the seventeenth century.
Beine, today ...
This seemingly peaceful village is actually a real economic force for the region.
Beine vineyard is omnipresent because it is one of the most important of Chablis.
In the early 1960s through the 1970s, there were only Beine 65 hectares of vines who exploit about seven winemakers themselves practicing polyculture.
Through restructuring over twenty years, the village of Beine has finally found his vineyard landscape of the early century before its destruction by phylloxera, this terrible disease that has ravaged much of the French vineyards.
But the restructuring of land title was not the only advantage of Beine for its revival, it was necessary to find an effective solution against spring frosts : protection system told by "sprinkling" through Lake Beine.